Friday, August 15, 2008

A General Update

Hi all!
I got back from California a week ago and I am just now feeling somewhat like a human being! Boy, that trip took it out of me!!

I did my one woman show-like thing, "The Permanent Me" on Friday night, August 1, and it went over well. There were a few major technical glitches but nothing that brought the show to a screeching halt. I was super nervous before I got on stage--the computer seemed like such a major unpredictable variable and that made me more nervous than anything.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, this show contained over 200 PowerPoint slides, each with it's own sound cue. Most of which I recorded myself as my British "higher self"! The idea was that I was having a conversation with my higher self at each stage of development--junior high, high school, pre-transplant, and post-transplant.

I am so proud that Dr. Julie Desch, a physician, mother and wellness coach WITH CF, wrote about "The Permanent Me" on her blog: sick and happy. She amazing and I am honored that she kindly wrote this:

"Tiffany Christensen, author of “Sick Girl Speaks!” gave an amazing presentation at the start of this weekend’s conference in Redwood City, California. As she chronicled in a deeply moving and occasionally hilarious one woman show, having CF can be an incredible tool to use when “finding the permanent me.” Tiffany embodies positive psychology. It is people like her that I want to learn from, and write about in these posts. "

Wow. Thanks Julie!!! Likewise.

Doing this presentation has inspired me to infuse more of my theater background into my talks. Not all of them will have costumes and talking computers, of course, but dramatizations can be powerful. With my acting background, I have an opportunity to use those skills to make my talks more interesting. Until now, I have shied away from that but I shouldn't. It takes guts to go out on a limb like that and I need to trust myself to pull it off.

After the conference, I went to the CF Adult Retreat. Like Vegas, what happen at retreat stays at retreat so I can't go into detail!! :) Suffice to say, it was everything you could hope for--big highs, big cathartic lows and good, amazing new friends. I never thought this would be my kind of thing but I am so hooked--I can't wait to go back next year. For all my CF readers, please consider going next year. It is truly life-changing and uplifting. They have cross-infection safety issues down to a science and I felt very secure all week, even as an immune-suppressed chick.

Things continue to go well. I have two big grants with Project Compassion in the pipeline for next year. Please keep your fingers crossed for those!! I continue to book talks--mostly "Life in the Death Bed." That one has taken off and I couldn't be happier. I love giving this talk!!! Soon, I will be offering a mini-documentary on my website which features me doing "Life in the Death bed" at a Hospice in Pennsylvania. Keep an eye out for that DVD as well as "The Permanent Me" DVD which should be available in the next few weeks.

I am thrilled to say that I was invited this week to do "Life in the Death Bed" at John's Hopkins Hospital! Wow! What an honor!!!

Ok, that's all for now. Thank you for your continued support!!
Wishing you all the best for the remainder of the summer!!!

5 comments:

denverdoc said...

Wow, awesome. As always, you're on fire. I couldn't be more pleased for you.

Elizabeth said...

Hi -- just wanted to post and say I have been enjoying your blog. We also are a post-tx family (partner, Will, had a double-lung transplant in 2001 because of end-stage CF), and are a post-PTLD (2 kinds!) family too, trying to get back to a normal life, whatever that is. Thanks.
Elizabeth
http://liam411.blogspot.com

Midlife Midwife said...

Wow, you go girl! Sign me up for one of those DVDs when you get them. I'd love to be able to hear your voice.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany - Way to go on the smashing success you are having. When are you coming to Hopkins? That's my neck of the woods... maybe I can sneak in to hear you speak.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I got chills when I read what Dr Desch said about you. Femail Doc dias it all when she said "you're on fire!"

HealthCentral Top Site Award