Friday, August 31, 2007

Jealous, Scared and Inspired

Holy Cow. Have you seen this girl?

crazy sexy cancer blog
crazy sexy cancer website

Unbelievable. Awesome. Inspiring. Daring. Clever. Brilliant.

Oh, and...boy, am I freaking out.

It's amazing how I can be simultaneously threatened and inspired by this person and her work.

Why am I threatened? Well, to read some of her stuff you'd think one of us stole it from the other. Some of our sentences are nearly identical. Oh yea, and she got it out there way bigger and way faster than me!
That taps into a huge underlying lifelong fear of mine--what if I show up to the party too late and all the good food is gone and all the guest have already gone home? I feel like she's already done what I wanted to do--and her dress is much prettier than mine--so part of me wants to just turn around and go home before I even get to the party.

Why am I inspired? That girl is brilliant. I love her message and the way she tells it. While we have a lot of
similarities, we also have a lot of differences. After my ego recovered from watching her amazing movie, I realized that there is room for my message. I also realized that I wanted to make it a stronger one. Her boldness and honesty has inspired me to go to the next level.

I know my reaction was petty. I don't mean to say that I wasn't happy for Kris Carr and all of her success. I really, truly am. She deserves all of the success she can hold onto.

As for me, I trudge on! My last day of work is today. I am chomping at the bit to get started at marketing
Sick Girl Speaks! full time. I have a few irons in the fire and hope to have many more very soon.

After seeing Kris Carr's work, I woke up this morning with some clarity. Part of what has bothered me about mt title and my book is that it doesn't have a clear, underlying message. Every book needs that one thing that is the
thru-line for every sub-message. It finally dawned on me what mine is: acceptance. My message is all about acceptance of what is. Working to transform it is great but for true peace, there must be acceptance that it make get better, worse or stay the same. Otherwise, you will be devastated over and over.

Based on this new revelation, I have changed my sub-title.

Sick Girl Speaks!
Lessons and Ponderings Along the Winding Road to Acceptance

What do you think?

Watch Kris Carr's movie, read her book and her blog. She rocks.

4 comments:

denverdoc said...

I think your theme and your sub-title is the very thing. I'll look at Kris Carr's site, but I have no doubt there's room for the both of you.

Judy

denverdoc said...

Well I read the blog, watched the movie, and she is certainly a powerhouse of positive energy. Her new age punch to cancer will be/clearly is very appealing and empowering.

A lot of people can't or don't want to tap into that manic kind of place to accept and live with illness. I think your approach is every bit a positive, much more appealing to me as a doctor and a person who copes with my own mortality, and frankly more realistic. You can successfully enter same eager world of patients and providers looking for guidance from a somewhat different slant.

No worries Tiffany, I have no doubt you will succeed.

Midlife Midwife said...

I like the title. We need books like yours. We (patients, families and providers) all need to hear your voice!

Anonymous said...

I agree with femail doc. I think crazy sexy cancer is great and wish her great success- but personnally prefer your engaging style of communications. Different folks...

HealthCentral Top Site Award