Saturday, January 12, 2008

Broadway! I ain't coming...


About 15 years ago, I struggled through some mandatory dance classes at North Carolina School of the Arts. I didn't know it at the time, but I was only a few years away from having my first double lung transplant. I coughed, wheezed and panted my way through these dance classes, taking many breaks and fighting for air. I was in survival mode and the last thing I cared about was whether or not I "got" the dance moves or not. I was just holding on for dear life and trying to make it through the excruciating exercises.

Since then, I have often fantasized about taking dance classes post-transplant. Now that I can breathe, it seemed like it would be fun and easy!

Last night, I took my first dance class since NCSA. Well, I was right--it was fun. I was also wrong--my lungs had little to do with my dancing ability! I am horrible!!! :) :)

I am double jointed so I look freakish doing some of the "jazz hands" types of things. I am very uncoordinated so I spend most of my time trying to figure out which foot is supposed to have weight on it. During the combination, I franticly look around for help and am 1 beat behind or ahead the routine. I bet you're thinking "That doesn't sound like fun!"

But it was.

The instructor is very sweet and the folks in the class were very generous with their support.

Best of all, I only got winded one or two times. The rest of the 1.5 hour class, I was concentrating on my two left feet. I still may be a terrible dancer--Broadway will never see me headed their way--but there's one big difference...I can breathe.

There are no words to express how beautiful it is to compare yesterday to 15 years ago. Not thinking about breathing is a dream come true.

Now, let's hope my donor had some ability for dance--maybe she can help me out with the "Cats" combination!! :)

1 comment:

denverdoc said...

I remember your post on donees receiving some of their donors' talents. If your donor was a dancer, she/he is either wringing her hands or ecstatic with delight over being back on your feet.

How wonderful for you to be dancing!

HealthCentral Top Site Award