Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Something to Live For" follow-up

Thank you to Clay's family for your heartfelt notes of appreciation for my "Something to Live For" post.

In my "magical fantasy," my day of living for Clay would have been a day of great joy and enjoyment of life. However, as it turned out, Monday was one of the hardest days I've had in a long time. I was uninspired at work, my after-work plans seemed to fall through and I spent 3 long hours after dinner writhing in pain from some strange stomach problem.

Even still, I held Clay close to my heart and mind all day. Instead of living a big day for Clay, it turns out I had a hard day and Clay's memory gave me great perspective. Instead of me doing something for him, he did something for me. I had not planned it that way--I wanted to drink in the glory of living and dedicate my intoxication to him. Instead, he reminded me that every day is precious--even the ones filled with disappointments and pain.

I had set out to do a nice thing in honor of a boy who had left this world so quickly. As it turns out, the honor was all mine.

Thank you, Clay.

No comments:

HealthCentral Top Site Award